By Rachel Cosgrove
Our business is our baby. No, I’m serious. We do not have kids and opening our business and building it from the start…first the brand new baby stage was so exciting, then experiencing the terrible two’s, well we made it (most businesses don’t)!
Then the cute toddler stage and eventually the out of control teenager (which cost us quite a bit)… and now it’s grown into a young adult who we are very proud of. At this point, it even does ok on it’s own, but still needs our love and affection on a regular basis and yes I’m totally emotionally involved, more than a business owner should be.
In fact, at a business seminar, I asked one of the speakers, who was a very successful business woman and was talking about building businesses and selling them – “How do you ever sell your business after you have spent so much time and energy building it up, putting so much into it and are so emotionally involved?
Her answer- “It’s not a baby! Don’t get emotionally involved! If you don’t sell it, you are holding yourself back from everything else you have to offer the world!”
That’s a whole other topic that I haven’t quite grasped yet because – yes it is my baby & yes I’m totally emotionally involved and take everything about my business personally!
At one of our mastermind events one of our coaching members who is also a mother said she had an “Aha!”– “I realized you have to protect your business like it’s your baby. Guard it with everything…”
Every business goes through stages. We have seen this with our Mastermind Coaching Members as they join our group.
When joining they are usually in one of three places:
1. Aspiring – Have no or a few clients, are brand new to training, and have come to us to help start out on the right foot, get experience, and build the business and career in the fitness industry.
2. Budding – Working out of a gym or other location and have built up a solid clientele and are ready to take the next step to open their own place.
3. Veteran– Opened their own place and need help learning how to run the business, manage their team, budget, and build a sustainable business for the long term. Some are already running pretty smoothly looking to take it to the next level.
Once opening a gym there are stages that your business goes through as you grow. I got these from a book called, “Making Money is Killing Your Business.” By Chuck Blakeman and find them to be extremely accurate.
- Stage One: Concept & Start Up – Honeymoon stage 0-60 members running as a solo entrepreneur wearing all of the hats…
- Stage Two: Survival – AKA “The grind” 60-100 members, need to hire an office manager & first trainer
- Stage Three: Subsistence – 100 members, Making Money, Time to “build your fence” around your members, your team, the culture you are creating.
- Stage Four: Stability– 100-150, Focus on building your team and delegating. You can no longer do it all on your own and have to depend on your team.
- Stage 5: Success by walking around – 150-200 members, no longer hands on, As the owner your focus at this point is on Marketing & building your team
- Stage 6: Significance – 200+ members, Focus on providing the bigger picture vision for the company.
- Stage 7: Succession – Maturity – Business is thriving!
What stage are you in? Are you aspiring, budding or a veteran?
What do you need to do to get to the next stage? What action steps do you need to take?
We have worked our way through all of the stages and now looking back 16 years have many lessons along the way. We have seen coaching members following our advice fast-track their businesses through the stages, especially through the survival stage! You don’t want to go through that stage on your own and if you are in it right now let us help you!
Meet Lauren & Jason, RFU Coaching members since 2012:
“From 25 members to 225 members in two years, and we absolutely would not have gotten to this point without Rachel, Alwyn, the RFU team, and the other group members. If we had known we would’ve grown to this point, we would’ve paid five times the asking price!
This is seriously a ‘can’t miss’ investment and opportunity and we’re so happy to be a part of the Results University family!” – Jason Pak, Results Fitness February 2015 Mastermind & 2014 RFU Biz Owner of the Year, Owners of Achieve Fitness Boston
Remember if you keep doing what you are already doing, you’ll continue to have what you already have…
Now is your chance to join us for our next Results Fitness University Mentorship. If you are ready to work closely with us to take your business to the next level and share with you the exact steps to take to build the business and life of your dreams, don’t miss this!
At our upcoming mentorship, we will be helping you to pinpoint the EXACT action steps to fast track your business from where it is to where you want to be, giving you a launchpad to take off from and grow your business to be a successful, mature, thriving business!
Here’s the URGENT news…
Our Results Fitness University Mentorship takes place on June 7th, 8th & 9th and it is selling out very quickly!
It has been 5 years since we have offered a mentorship where you can spend time at our gym along with learning from us and our team.
And we decided to bring it back in 2016!
The first one was a great success, so we’re now accepting applications for a second mentorship.
If you’re interested in a “total immersion Results Fitness Mentorship, Training, and Business experience” – then fill out this form and we’ll be in touch: http://bit.ly/bRFUmentorship